Saturday, November 21, 2009

8 Months (almost)

Those first few weeks after having a baby can be rough. Well, that's how it is for me anyway. It' not all sunshine and rainbows. No new baby high. And no "Oh, my life is complete now" euphoria.



Don't get me wrong. There's this new, precious baby who you have waited 9 months (or in my case 9 & 1/2) to meet. And you already love him more than you ever thought you could. But there also lots of... exhaustion. Your body is trying to recuperate from having just given birth. You are tired and weak. After waking up every 2 to 3 hours, around the clock, you begin to think I-- just-- can't-- do it-- another-- night.



But somehow, you do. The days and nights turn into weeks and the weeks into months. And you begin to see some sunshine through the haze. And what's that you see? It's a tee tiny rainbow.



I remember during the first couple of weeks with Drew. Grant was having a hard time listening to Drew cry. Doing everything in my power to get Drew to stop crying, I told Grant, "It's okay Buddy. He's just learning how to be a baby. He'll be a happier guy in a few more weeks."



It's hard to believe that after 8 short months, this is what you get.



I love it that he thinks Danny and I are the coolest people on the planet and Grant is even cooler. I love it how he likes to play with my hair while he drinks his bottle. I love it how he loves to snuggle and give hugs and kisses (i.e. tasting your face with his tongue). I love it that he's an excellent car rider and an awesome shopper. And I love it that I can lay him in his bed, wide awake, and he will go to sleep with little or no protesting (well, 2 out of 3 times a day anyways).




It's kind of hard to see around here lately with all of the sunshine and rainbows.

2 comments:

  1. Lesley, this was pure awesomeness! My sentiments exactly. I remember someone telling me after Elena was a few weeks old that "the days were fast but the minutes and hours were long." It's a good thing I'm not in Nashville anymore. I'd have to come over and nibble on that baby for awhile . . . he's too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet Lesley! I just love how "cool" the 'little' guy thinks the 'big' guy is (as it is that way in our house too)! Katie Jenkins

    ReplyDelete