Sunday, August 22, 2010

First (Second) Day of School

I anticipated Grant's first day of school for many weeks.  We opened a door on his calendar each day.  I repeatedly talked about his new routine with him.  The night before we got his back pack ready and laid out his clothes. 

I put him to bed by 8:00, but after brushing his teeth and reading a book, he complained that his belly hurt.  I was pretty sure it was just nerves getting the best of him.  Minutes later, he was doubled over in bed crying.  I began to fear that this whole kindergarten thing is going to be alot harder than I had anticipated. 

I finally got him settled down and said good night.  About 20 minutes later, I heard him coughing.  I ran to check on him.  Kindergarten nerves had definitely not gotten the best of him.  A stomach bug did.

And so it goes Grant missed his first first day of school.  It was Tuesday, and his next half day fell on Friday.  So by Friday, his official first day of school was uneventful.  There was no crying.  There was no worrying.  There was no second guessing.

My Facebook status would read... "Grant did excellent for his first day of school.  Mommy did too."

I am so proud of him.  He's actually said several times that he loves it.   He did shed some tears on day seven, but I think it had more to do with missing Daddy than going to school. 

He's officially a Kindergartener.

No comments:

Post a Comment