Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gaga and Mother Mc

Pics from Christmas 2005

My Great Grandmother, Mother Mack, passed away this past Sunday. She was 96 years old. And up until this past year she was still able to live at home with some help. I am so grateful to have known her and to have had her in my life all of these years.

Danny's Grandfather, Gaga, passed away in April. He was a wonderful man, a slow talker, but always had something to say that would make you laugh or smile. He would always call me "Sweetheart" and Grant "Precious."
They will both be greatly missed.

In dealing with these recent losses, we've had to figure out how to talk to a 3 year old about death. The best advice I found was to keep it plain and simple for his age.

As I tried to prepare Grant, I explained.... Gaga was very, very sick and very very old. He died and he won't be with us anymore. I explained that people will crying because we are sad and will miss him very much.

The next day I reminded him again that people may be crying at the service. And-- in his own little way of letting me know he understood-- he replied, "I miss Gaga."
My heart melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment