Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dear Grant

Dear Grant,

Today you are 7 years old. SEVEN! In the words of your dad, when you were born we were "overjoyed and panicked".  It's really hard to believe how time goes by so quickly.  Not too long ago you were a baby... trying your hardest not to breastfeed and crying when you were picked up.  You have changed so much and yet, are very much the same.

I don't have to do much for you anymore.  You are old enough now to give yourself a bath, read, fix a snack, find something to watch on TV, and wipe your own nose.  Lord knows I've tried my hardest to wipe your nose recently, but you are so strong I can't even force my hands upon you like I use to.

You're not much on snuggle time these days (kind of like when you were a baby), and you probably get that from me.  But, every time we are in a parking lot or crossing a street, you still grab my hand.  I smile to myself knowing that you are big enough to walk by yourself beside me, but I love the brief moment I get to hold your hand.

You love your baby brother.  You were four years old when he was born, but I am sure you don't remember life without him.  I love watching you play with him.You guys have so much fun together chasing each other around the house and playing tackle.   You share your toys.  You let him ride your back.  He misses you when you are at school or at basketball games with daddy.

Your favorite person in the world is Daddy, and I'm ok with that.  You boys just have so much more in common... video games, cars, sports, numbers.  Soon enough, you'll be needing help with your science homework.  Don't go to your dad for help with that one.  I will be there. 

You love to go to school.  You make perfect grades and your teachers are thrilled to have you in their class. You are quiet and shy, but you have lots of friends and you're not afraid to ask questions or speak up when something isn't right.   Your favorite thing to do is practice baseball with Daddy followed by creating football schedules and acting out the plays for both teams.  You could care less for dinner, but you would never dream of missing breakfast. 

I cannot imagine my life without you. Seven years just goes by so fast.  We love the baby you were, the boy you are, and the young man you one day will be. We love you so much. 

Happy Birthday Biddy.

2 comments:

  1. So sweet, Lesley! Sad, but sweet. I hate seeing all the kids grow up so fast! Hope Grant has a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete