Wednesday, March 3, 2010

GALLOP!

I guess we have put Grant to bed over a thousand times by now.

At one year of age, his routine consited of brushing his teeth, reading books as he sat in our lap in the glider, then placing him in bed awake. 

At nearly three when we moved him into his full size bed, we added trying to go potty and a few minutes of snuggling with him in bed after books.  Or as he puts it "lay down with me for a minute." 

We've been through this routine so many times that it is often mundane.  And after a long day, I'm ashamed to say that I often rush through it so I can go relax with the remote or read my blogs.

But the other night I was reminded that this time is not mundane at all. Something different happened this time.  Grant grabbed a book and began reading it to me

Can you gallop like a horse?
Can you strut like a rooster?
Can you run like a dog? 
Can you spring like a cat?
Can you soar like an eagle?
Can you swing like a chimp?
Can you flutter like a butterfly?
Can you swim like a turtle?
Then take a bow and smile: you twinkle, like a star!
Then take a bow and shine: a star is what you are.


Ok.  I helped him with the more difficult words.  But it was magical all the same.

After finishing, he said excitedly "I'm going to pick out another book because I can read."  Here he is showing Daddy his new skills.


1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Grant! I loved watching Elena go through this wonderful milestone. Has he started reading to Drew yet? Seeing my kids reading together just melts my heart everytime.

    ReplyDelete