Saturday, October 10, 2009

Gone


Strangers were riffling through our stuff today... baby clothes, swings, blankets, car seats and more. As I began to get excited about the cash that was being handed to me, I also felt a lump in my throat as I let go of our stuff. The clothes that I spent hours and hours organizing as I nested in my final weeks of my pregnancy. The swing that rocked my babies to sleep for countless naps. The car seat that we brought both our boys home in. Gone.

"I guess this means you're done having kids," most people are saying.

Definitely -- maybe. The truth is, I don't know for sure if we're done having kids.

Right now, I would say maybe. Because, right now, it's pretty easy. Drew is the epitome of baby. He flashes his smile if you so much as just look at him. His favorite pastime is eating his feet. And he's perfectly happy with his non-mobile self.

But, in my mind, I can already hear Grant screaming because Drew is eating one of his hotwheel cars. I know those 18 month old tantrums are just around the corner. Potty training?..... oh, don't get me started. And after having a child with a congenital heart defect, it's needless to say, I don't take having a baby lightly.

So, today, I kept a pile of my favorite baby clothes, and the car seat, well, it didn't actually sell. I guess you can say, the jury's still out. I think we'll know for sure within the next couple of years. But since our move, I have the need to purge excess stuff more than I have the need to have another baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment